© Crown copyright 2022
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-official-hmrc-app/the-free-hmrc-app
1. What you can do with the HMRC app
Use the HMRC app to see:
- your tax code and National Insurance number
- an estimate of the tax you need to pay
- your income and benefits
- how much you will receive in tax credits and when they will be paid
- your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) for Self Assessment
- how much Self Assessment tax you owe
Use the HMRC app to:
- make a Self Assessment payment
- report tax credits changes and complete your renewal
- access your Help to Save account
- use our tax calculator to work out your take home pay after Income Tax and National Insurance deductions
- track forms and letters you have sent to us
- claim a refund if you have paid too much tax
- update your postal address
2. Getting started
Download the free HMRC app from:
Follow the instructions on screen to complete your app settings – you will then be asked to sign into your account.
3. How to sign in
You need to enter your Government Gateway user ID and password to sign into your account for the first time only. If you do not have sign in details you can create them on the same sign-in page.
Whenever you use the app again, depending on what your handset supports, you do not need to enter your sign in details again. It is much simpler to use the app as you can sign in using:
- a 6-digit PIN
- your fingerprint
- facial recognition
We want as many people as possible to be able to use the HMRC app. Our accessibility statements describe how the app works with assistive technologies:
5. Safety and security
HMRC takes cyber security very seriously - see how we are keeping you safe online.
6. Help and support
If you have a problem with your account that you can’t solve using our online resources, there is other help available.