© Crown copyright 2017
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-official-hmrc-app/the-free-hmrc-app
1. What the HMRC app enables you to do
You can use it to:
- view your tax code and an estimate of the tax you need to pay
- see your income and benefits
- check your National Insurance number
- view your tax credits payments schedule
- renew your tax credits
- use our tax calculator to work out your take home pay after Income Tax and National Insurance deductions
- track forms and letters you’ve sent to us
- get 6-digit access codes to make your HMRC accounts more secure
2. Getting started
3. How to sign in
The first time you sign in, you’ll need to enter your Government Gateway ID and password. If you haven’t got these, go to the Government Gateway website.
Whenever you use the app again, depending on what your handset supports, you can sign in using:
- a 6-digit PIN
- fingerprint authentication
- facial recognition
4. Setting up a personal tax account
You can use the app to set up a personal tax account by giving us your name, National Insurance number and date of birth.
If we need to verify your identity, we’ll ask for details such as your passport number and information about your salary.
5. Safety and security
HMRC takes cyber security very seriously - see how we are keeping you safe online.
6. Help and support
If you have a problem with your account that you can’t solve using our online resources, there is other help available.