Use your personal tax account to check your records and manage your details with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
To sign in for the first time, you’ll need:
- a Government Gateway account - you’ll have one if you’ve used HMRC online services before
- a National Insurance number (a temporary reference number won’t work)
Signing in creates your account.
Before you start
You can also sign in with GOV.UK Verify. If you haven’t used GOV.UK Verify before, it takes about 15 minutes to get set up. You can then use it to access other government services securely.
Problems signing in
If you’ve lost your Government Gateway ID or password:
- create a new account if you don’t file a Self Assessment tax return
- request a new ID or password if you do file a Self Assessment tax return
What you can do
You can use your personal tax account to:
- check your Income Tax estimate and tax code
- fill in, send and view a personal tax return
- claim a tax refund
- check and manage your tax credits
- check your State Pension
- track tax forms that you’ve submitted online
- check or update your Marriage Allowance
- tell HMRC about a change of address
- check or update benefits you get from work, for example company car details and medical insurance
More services will be added in the future.