You must register for Self Assessment if you have to send a tax return.

You’ll need to register again if you did not send a tax return last year, even if you’ve sent one in the past.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

How to register

There are different ways to register if you’re:

When to register

You must register for Self Assessment by 5 October. You could be fined if you do not.

Once you’ve registered, you can send your tax return online any time before the deadline.

  1. Step 1 Check if being self-employed is right for you

  2. Step 2 Choose the name you want to trade under

  3. Step 3 Check what records you'll need to keep

  4. Step 4 Register for tax

    To pay tax, you'll need to register for Self Assessment.

    1. Apply for a National Insurance number if you do not have one
    2. Register for Self Assessment

    You might need to register in a different way if:

    You may also need to register for VAT.

    1. Check if you need to register for VAT