The deadlines for paying your tax bill are usually:
- 31 January - for any tax you owe for the previous tax year (known as a balancing payment) and your first payment on account
- 31 July for your second payment on account
You can pay in regular monthly instalments, if you prefer.
You can get help if you cannot pay your tax bill on time.
This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Ways to pay
Make sure you pay HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by the deadline. You’ll be charged interest and may have to pay a penalty if your payment is late.
The time you need to allow depends on how you pay.
You can no longer pay at the Post Office.
Same or next day
- through your online bank account
- online or telephone banking (Faster Payments)
- by debit or corporate credit card online
- at your bank or building society
You need a paying-in slip from HMRC to pay at a bank or building society.
3 working days
5 working days
- Direct Debit (if you have not set one up with HMRC before)
Problems with payment services
Online payment services may be slow during busy times. Check if there are any current problems or times they are not available.