The deadlines for paying your tax bill are:
- 31 January - for any tax you owe for the previous tax year (known as a balancing payment) and your first payment on account
- 31 July for your second payment on account
If you prefer to pay regularly throughout the year, you can use a budget payment plan.
Ways to pay
Make sure you pay HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by the deadline. You’ll be charged interest and may have to pay a penalty if your payment is late.
The time you need to allow depends on how you pay.
Same or next day
- online or telephone banking (Faster Payments)
- by debit or credit card online
- at your bank or building society
- at the Post Office
You need a paying-in slip from HMRC to pay at a bank, building society or Post Office.
3 working days
5 working days
- Direct Debit (if you haven’t set one up with HMRC before)