At your bank or building society

You can only pay at your branch by cash or cheque if you both:

  • still get paper statements from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • have the paying-in slip HMRC sent you

Make your cheque payable to ‘HM Revenue and Customs only’ followed by your reference number - this is your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) followed by the letter ‘K’. You’ll find it on your paying-in slip.

HMRC will accept your payment on the date you make it, and not the date it reaches their account (as long as you pay from Monday to Friday).

If you do not have a paying-in slip

You’ll need to pay by another method instead, for example: