Watch videos, sign up for email alerts and register for free webinars to learn more about Self Assessment.
If you register for a webinar, you:
- must register and sign in 5 minutes before it starts
- can ask questions using the on-screen text box
Why you have been sent a tax return
Find out more about Self Assessment tax returns
How to start your tax return
Watch a webinar about how to start your tax return to learn about:
- who needs to send a tax return
- how to sign in and use HMRC’s online service
- tailoring your tax return and more
How to complete your online tax return
How to complete the self-employment section of your tax return
Watch a recorded webinar about how to complete the self-employment section of your tax return to learn about:
- allowable business expenses
- what to complete if you’re a foster carer
How to complete the employment section of your tax return
Watch a recorded webinar about how to complete the employment section of your tax return to learn more if you’re:
- both self-employed and employed
- a director of a limited company
- an employee with a tax return to complete
Allowable expenditure you can claim against Capital Gains Tax
How to record state benefits on your tax return
Class 2 National Insurance contributions and your tax return
How to check your tax return and pay what you owe
Watch a recorded webinar about how to check your tax return and pay what you owe to learn about:
- how to check your return
- view your calculation
- view payments on account
- how to check what you’ve already paid
- when and how to pay
What you need to know if you are a landlord
Watch a recorded webinar about how to complete the UK property pages of the tax return to learn about:
- allowable property deductions and expenses
- completing the UK property section of the online tax return
You can use our toolkits to get help with completing your Self Assessment tax return.
How to budget for your Self Assessment tax bill if you’re self-employed
If you’re self-employed, you can use the self-employed ready reckoner to budget for your Self Assessment tax bill for the 2019 to 2020 tax year.
Enter your estimated weekly or monthly profit to get an idea of how much Income Tax, Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance you’ll pay.
Visit the HMRC Community Forum to find answers to your questions about Self Assessment.