Married Couple’s Allowance could reduce your tax bill by between £427 and £1,108 a year.

You can claim Married Couple’s Allowance if all the following apply:

  • you’re married or in a civil partnership
  • you’re living with your spouse or civil partner
  • one of you was born before 6 April 1935

For marriages before 5 December 2005, the husband’s income is used to work out Married Couple’s Allowance. For marriage and civil partnerships after this date, it’s the income of the highest earner.

If you and your partner were born on or after 6 April 1935, you may be able to claim Marriage Allowance instead.