How you contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to update your name or address depends on your situation.
You’ll also need to change your business records if you run a business.
If you’re changing your address
Tell HMRC about a change of address if you’re paid a salary or pension through PAYE. If you submit a Self Assessment tax return as well your details will be updated for both.
There are different ways to update your address if you:
If you’re changing your name
Change your name if you’re:
You need to update both if both apply to you.
Your name will be updated automatically if you change gender.
What happens next
HMRC will update your personal records for:
- Income Tax and National Insurance
- tax credits and benefits, including Child Benefit
- services, including the Pension Service
You’ll get an email to either:
- confirm your change of details
- ask for more information, for example legal documents for your name change