Tell HMRC about a change to your personal details

Skip contents

Change of name or address

You need to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you’ve changed your name or address. How you contact HMRC depends on your situation.

You’ll also need to change your business records if you run a business.

If you submit a Self Assessment tax return, your details will be updated once you’ve reported a name or address change.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Tell HMRC you’ve changed your address.

Tell HMRC your name has changed. You’ll need to sign in. If you do not already have sign in details you’ll be able to create them.

You can also tell HMRC that your name or address has changed using the HMRC app.

Your name will be updated automatically if you change gender.

Tax agents

If you’re a tax agent (for example an accountant), tell HMRC about a change of name or address: