Tell HMRC about a change to your personal details
1. Change of name or address
How you contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to update your name or address depends on your situation.
You’ll also need to change your business records if you run a business.
If you’re changing your address
Tell HMRC about a change of address if you’re paid a salary or pension through PAYE. If you submit a Self Assessment tax return as well your details will be updated for both.
There are different ways to update your address if you:
If you’re changing your name
Change your name if you’re:
You need to update both if both apply to you.
Your name will be updated automatically if you change gender.
What happens next
HMRC will update your personal records for:
- Income Tax and National Insurance
- tax credits and benefits, including Child Benefit
- services, including the Pension Service
You’ll get an email to either:
- confirm your change of details
- ask for more information, for example legal documents for your name change