Tell HMRC about a change to your business

Skip contents

Change of name or address

You must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you change your name, business name or your personal or trading address.

There are different ways of telling HMRC about changes to your personal details for Income Tax, National Insurance, student loans, tax credits and Child Benefit.

Make sure you’ve updated your details for all of the taxes and schemes you’re registered for, including:

  • Corporation Tax
  • Self Assessment
  • PAYE for employers
  • VAT (you must tell HMRC of changes within 30 days)
  • the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)

Tell HMRC about changes to your business, including your correspondence address and payroll details if you’re an employer. You can do this for all services apart from CIS.

You need to tell Companies House about changes to your Corporation Tax details before you tell HMRC.

Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)

You need to tell HMRC separately about any changes to your business if you’re a contractor or subcontractor under CIS.

Other ways to update your details

If you’re self-employed or in a partnership, you can write to the address on the most recent correspondence you have from HMRC, or call the Income Tax helpline.

For Corporation Tax, you can write to your Corporation Tax Office. Check recent tax forms or letters from HMRC for the address of your tax office or call the Corporation Tax helpline.

For PAYE, you can contact the HMRC employer helpline, or write to the National Insurance Contributions and Employers Office.

National Insurance Contributions and Employers Office
HM Revenue and Customs