Tell HMRC about a change to your personal details

Gender change

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is usually told automatically when you change gender legally by applying for a Gender Recognition Certificate.

Tell your employer at the same time - they must update your payroll records and National Insurance contributions.

HMRC will:

  • update its records with your gender and any name change
  • tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • restrict your records so only specialist staff at HMRC and DWP can access them
  • hand your tax affairs to HMRC’s Public Department 1 - contact them if you have questions about your tax or National Insurance

Public Department 1
Telephone: 03000 534730
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Public Department 1
CF14 5QZ

Tell HMRC yourself

You can write to Special Section D to tell HMRC:

  • about your legal gender change
  • about your name change only if you did not change gender legally
  • if you do not want them to restrict your records

Include your National Insurance number, and your original Gender Recognition Certificate if you’ve changed gender legally.

Special Section D
Room BP9207
Benton Park View
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ