Tell HMRC about a change to your personal details

Relationship or family changes

Tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if:

  • you get married or form a civil partnership
  • you divorce, separate or stop living with your husband, wife or partner

You can tell HMRC online if you’re paid a salary or pension through PAYE. If you submit a Self Assessment tax return as well, your details will be updated for both.

You’ll need:

  • a Government Gateway user ID and password - if you do not have a Government Gateway user ID, you can create one when you tell HMRC online
  • a National Insurance number (a temporary reference number will not work).

Tell HMRC straight away – if you do not, you could pay too much tax, or get a tax bill at the end of the year.

If you get tax credits or Child Benefit

Tell HMRC separately about changes to your relationship or family if you get:

If your spouse or civil partner dies

Contact HMRC to report: