3. Relationship or family changes
Tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if:
- you get married or form a civil partnership
- you divorce, separate or stop living with your husband, wife or partner
You can tell HMRC online if you’re paid a salary or pension through PAYE. If you submit a Self Assessment tax return as well your details will be updated for both.
- a Government Gateway account - you’ll have one if you’ve used HMRC online services before
- a National Insurance number (a temporary reference number won’t work)
Tell HMRC straight away – if you don’t, you could pay too much tax, or get a tax bill at the end of the year.
If you get tax credits or Child Benefit
Tell HMRC separately about changes to your relationship or family if you get:
If your spouse or civil partner dies
Contact HMRC to report: