Most local councils run a service called Tell Us Once - it lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.
The registrar will tell you about using Tell Us Once and give you a unique reference number to access the service.
Tell Us Once will notify:
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with tax and cancel benefits
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, eg income support
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence
- Passport Office - to cancel a passport
- The local council - to cancel housing benefit, council tax benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
Banks and other financial organisations
Contact the person’s bank or mortgage, pension or insurance providers to close or change the details of their accounts.