Update property records when someone dies

How you update the property records when someone dies depends on whether they were the joint or sole owner of a property.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Check the property records if you don’t know:

  • who owns a property
  • whether it’s owned jointly or solely

When a joint owner dies

When a joint owner of a property dies, fill in form DJP to remove their name from the register.

Send the completed form to HM Land Registry, along with an official copy of the death certificate.

When a sole owner dies

When the sole owner of a property has died, the property is normally transferred to either:

  • the person inheriting the property (known as ‘the beneficiary’)
  • a third party, for example someone buying the property

If you transfer to a beneficiary

To transfer a property to a beneficiary, download and fill in the following forms:

You must also send:

  • the original or an official copy of the grant of probate or letters of administration
  • the Stamp Duty Land Tax certificate or self-certificate, or Land Transaction Tax certificate for properties sold in Wales on or after 1 April 2018 (if tax was paid on the property)
  • a fee - check the fee calculator

The beneficiary must fill in ‘Verify identity: citizen’ (sometimes known as form ID1). You’ll also need to complete the form if you’re transferring the property and you’re not the executor.

Send all the completed forms and supporting documents to HM Land Registry.

If you sell the property to a third party

You need to:

  • transfer the ownership of the property
  • provide the buyer with an official copy of the probate or letters of administration