Apply for probate
You can apply for probate yourself online or by post. This can be cheaper than paying a probate practitioner (such as a solicitor) to apply for you.
Read guidance from Money Helper about using a probate practitioner for information on hiring a legal professional.
Probate applications are taking up to 8 weeks to process. It’s taking longer to process paper applications than online applications.
This guide and the service are also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Apply for probate online
If there’s Inheritance Tax to pay, you must wait 20 working days after sending the tax forms to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) before applying.
If you need help applying online
There are 2 types of help available. You can get help if:
- you’re able to apply online and there’s a problem - for example a technical issue or you need advice
- you need support to apply online - for example you’re not confident using the internet
Help if you’re able to apply online and there’s a problem
You can get help if you:
- are having technical issues with the service
- need advice about the information you’re providing
Help if you need support to apply online
You can phone the Digital Support helpline if you:
- do not feel confident using the internet
- do not have access to a computer or smartphone
Digital Support helpline
Telephone: 03300 160051
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Closed on bank holidays
Text FORM to 60777 and someone will call you back
Find out about call charges
Apply for probate by post
The form you need to fill in depends on whether the person left a will or not.
Because of COVID-19, it’s taking longer to process paper applications than online applications. Use the online service to apply for probate if you can.