Update property records when someone dies

How you update the property records when someone dies depends on whether they were the joint or sole owner of a property.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Check the property records if you don’t know:

  • who owns a property
  • whether it’s owned jointly or solely

When a joint owner dies

When a joint owner of a property dies, fill in form DJP to remove their name from the register.

Send the completed form to HM Land Registry, along with an official copy of the death certificate.

When a sole owner dies

When the sole owner of a property has died, the property is normally transferred to either:

  • the person inheriting the property (known as ‘the beneficiary’)
  • a third party, for example someone buying the property

If you transfer to a beneficiary

To transfer a property to a beneficiary, download and fill in the following forms:

You must also send:

  • the original or an official copy of the grant of probate or letters of administration
  • the Stamp Duty Land Tax certificate or self-certificate, or Land Transaction Tax certificate for properties sold in Wales on or after 1 April 2018 (if tax was paid on the property)
  • a fee - check the fee calculator

The beneficiary must fill in ‘Verify identity: citizen’ (sometimes known as form ID1). You’ll also need to complete the form if you’re transferring the property and you’re not the executor.

Send all the completed forms and supporting documents to HM Land Registry.

If you sell the property to a third party

You need to:

  • transfer the ownership of the property
  • provide the buyer with an official copy of the probate or letters of administration
  1. Step 1 Register the death

    1. Register the death within 5 days

    Check what to do if:

    To stop or change benefits payments you can tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about the death straight away.

  2. Step 2 Arrange the funeral

  3. Step 3 Tell government about the death

    The Tell Us Once service allows you to inform all the relevant government departments when someone dies.

    1. Use the Tell Us Once service to tell government
    2. If you cannot use Tell Us Once, tell government yourself

    You'll also need to tell banks, utility companies, and landlords or housing associations yourself.

  4. Step 4 Check if you can get bereavement benefits

  5. and Deal with your own benefits, pension and taxes

    Your tax, benefit claims and pension might change depending on your relationship with the person who died.

    1. Manage your tax, pensions and benefits if your spouse has died
    2. Check how benefits are affected if a child dies
  6. and Check if you need to apply to stay in the UK

    If your right to live in the UK depends on your relationship with someone who died you might need to apply for a new visa.

    Check the rules if:

    1. Contact UKVI to check the rules for other visas
  7. Step 5 Apply for probate and check if you need to pay Inheritance Tax

    You might need to apply for probate and pay Inheritance Tax before you can deal with the property, money and possessions (the ‘estate’) of the person who died.

    1. Check if you need to apply for probate
    1. Estimate the value of the estate to find out if you need to pay Inheritance Tax
    1. Find out how to report the value of the estate
    1. Pay Inheritance Tax if it’s due
    1. Apply for probate
  8. Step 6 Deal with the estate

    Pay any debts or taxes owed by the person who's died. You can then distribute the estate as set out in the will or the law.

    1. Deal with the estate
    1. You are currently viewing: Update property records