Report changes that affect your Child Benefit

Skip to contents of guide

If your child’s circumstances change

Report any changes that could affect your Child Benefit to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). If you do not, you may not get all the money you’re entitled to, or you may be overpaid and have to pay money back.

Only the person claiming Child Benefit can tell HMRC about a change of circumstances.

If you’ve already reported a change and you’re waiting to hear back, check when you should expect a reply.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Tell HMRC if your child:

  • starts getting Universal Credit, Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • changes their name by deed poll
  • gets married or forms a civil partnership
  • moves in with their partner
  • goes missing

If your child stays in or leaves education

Child Benefit stops on 31 August on or after your child’s 16th birthday if they leave approved education or training.

Tell HMRC if your child stays in education or training after turning 16, or later leaves education or training.

If your child moves away from home

Tell HMRC if your child:

  • will live away from you for either 8 weeks in a row or more than 56 days in a 16-week period
  • will go abroad for more than 12 weeks
  • moves to or from Northern Ireland
  • goes to prison or youth custody for more than 8 weeks

If your child goes into hospital or care

Tell HMRC if your child goes into care or residential accommodation for more than 8 weeks, or hospital for more than 12 weeks.

If your child changes their gender

HMRC will usually be told automatically if your child gets a Gender Recognition Certificate to change their gender. If they have not changed their gender legally you do not need to tell HMRC.

If your child dies

Tell HMRC if your child dies.

Other ways to report changes

You can also call or write to HMRC.