How it works

You get Child Benefit if you’re responsible for bringing up a child who is:

Only one person can get Child Benefit for a child.

There’s no limit to how many children you can claim for.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

By claiming Child Benefit, you can get:

  • an allowance paid to you for each child - you’ll usually get it every 4 weeks
  • National Insurance credits which count towards your State Pension
  • a National Insurance number for your child without them having to apply for one - they’ll usually get the number shortly before they turn 16 years old

If you choose not to get Child Benefit payments, you should still make a claim to get the other advantages.

If your circumstances change

You must report any change of circumstances to the Child Benefit Office.