Apply for National Insurance credits if you’re a parent or carer (CF411A)

Claim or transfer Class 3 National Insurance credits if the child you care for is under 12.


Apply online

Apply by post

Guidance notes


If you’re a parent of a child under 12

You should automatically get credits if you claim Child Benefit.

If you or your partner are registered for Child Benefit you can:

  • apply for credits missing from your National Insurance record
  • transfer credits from a spouse or partner

If you’re a foster or kinship carer of a child under 12

You can apply for National Insurance credits. You’ll need to provide supporting evidence with your application.

Applying online

To apply online, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you apply.

If you’re submitting a letter of confirmation or supporting evidence, the attachment should be no more than 5MB in PDF or JPEG format.

You will get a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your form.

Applying by post

Fill in the form on screen, print and post it with any supporting evidence to:

PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You cannot save a partly completed form, so we suggest you gather all your information together before you begin to fill it in.

Published 28 February 2012
Last updated 7 April 2020 + show all updates
  1. Foster and kinship carers can apply online or by post for NICs. Address for postal application has been updated.

  2. New English and Welsh PDF versions of the CF411A form have been added.

  3. The Welsh version of the CF411A notes have been updated with information on the Data Protection Act and time limits for applications.

  4. The English version of 'Notes on how to apply or transfer credits for parents and carers' has been updated with information on the Data Protection Act and time limits for applications.

  5. The English and Welsh versions for the print and post iForms and notes have been updated.

  6. An online forms service is now available.

  7. Welsh version of the form CF411A has been added to this page.

  8. First published.