4. Tax on your State Pension

You may have to pay UK tax on your State Pension if you live abroad. This depends on:

  • your taxable income
  • whether you’re classed as a UK resident for tax purposes

UK residents

The rules are the same as for people living in the UK - you’ll only pay tax if your taxable income is over a certain amount.

Non-UK residents

You don’t usually pay UK tax on your State Pension if you’re not a UK resident - but you might pay tax in the country where you live.

If you live in a country without a ‘double taxation agreement’ with the UK, you may pay tax in both countries.