Use this service to apply to register to vote.

You need to be on the electoral register to vote in elections and referendums.

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

You only need to register once - you do not need to register separately for every election.

You must register again if you’ve changed address, name or nationality.

You can also use this service to:

  • change the way you vote - for example in person, by post or by proxy
  • get on or off the open register

It usually takes about 5 minutes.

What you’ll need

You may need the following, if you have them:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your passport if you’re a British citizen living abroad, and want to vote in England, Scotland or Wales

There’s a different process to register anonymously, for example if you’re concerned about your safety.

Start now

Before you start

You can also register by post. There’s a different form for registering by post in Northern Ireland.

If you need help registering, contact your Electoral Registration Office.

There is an easy read guide about registering to vote for people with a learning disability.

You cannot register to vote if you’re in the UK illegally.

Public servants posted overseas

There are separate registration services for public servants who are likely to be posted overseas:

You should also use these registration services if you’re the spouse or civil partner of a public servant posted overseas.

You can still register as a non-service voter if you’re in the armed forces and have a permanent home address in the UK.