Use this service to get on the electoral register or update your details if you’re posted abroad as:

  • a Crown servant (for example diplomatic or overseas civil service)
  • a British Council employee
  • the spouse or civil partner of a Crown servant or British Council employee

You can do this before you leave or if you’re already abroad.

Registering takes around 5 minutes.

You only need to register once - you do not need to register separately for every election.

You’ll need your National Insurance number, if you have one. You’ll also need your payroll or staff ID number (usually found on your payslip).

Start now

Other ways to apply

You can also register by post.

There’s a different form for registering by post in Northern Ireland.

Children of Crown servants or British Council employees

How you register to vote depends on where you’re from.

If you’re from England, Wales or Northern Ireland

You can register when you turn 16.

Register as an overseas voter if you’re from England or Wales.

Register by post if you’re from Northern Ireland.

If you’re from Scotland

Register by post if you’re from Scotland. Both of the following must apply:

  • you’re either 14 or 15 years old
  • you live with your parent or guardian overseas

Send the form to your local Electoral Registration Office.

If you’re not a Crown servant or British Council employee

There are separate registration services for: