Living in Peru

Advice for British people living in Peru, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British national residing or planning to reside in Peru, including advice on health, education, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our information on what we can and cannot do for British nationals in Peru.


Healthcare is available in Lima, but medical care outside Lima can be limited. Medical care in public hospitals is free, but you are expected to pay for your medicine and sometimes for a few other things. Public hospitals experience serious shortages of basic medicines and equipment. Private medical care is available, but can be expensive. If travelling and/or living in Peru, it is highly advisable to obtain medical insurance. Private hospitals might require payment prior to giving treatment to patients.

More information about Peru’s public health system can be found on the website of the Health Ministry.

If you wish to have the Embassy’s Medical Panel List, send us a request using our web form.


The Ministry of Education rules the public education system in Peru. There are private schools around the country, most of them located in Lima. The education quality varies highly. There are international schools, including British schools, in the country, most of them located in Lima.

Employment and recognised qualifications

British Nationals can work in Peru if authorised to work and have the appropriate permissions to do so. Please contact the Peruvian Consulate in London if you plan to work in Peru for information on requirements and what kind of visa you need.

The Ministry of Employment Promotion deals with employment matters in Peru. For matters related to recognised educational qualifications, please contact the Ministry of Education.

Entry and residence requirements

British nationals are not required to obtain a Peruvian visa to visit Peru as tourists for short stays, but visitors must comply with immigration requirements to enter the country for longer periods of time. For information on Peruvian immigration law, please contact the Peruvian Consulate in London or, if you are already in Peru, please contact the Peruvian Immigration Office. They will be able to provide you with advice on visas to work and reside in Peru.

Please also visit our Travel Advice for Peru, which includes information on entry requirements to the country.

Driving licences and vehicles

You can drive for up to 6 months using a UK driving licence and up to 1 year with an International Driving Permit. Carry your passport with you at all times when driving.

For information on driving in Peru and how to obtain the relevant permissions for your vehicle or how to obtain a local driving license, please contact Peru’s Ministry of Transport.

The Superintendencia Nacional de Aduanas y Administración Tributaria has information about tax regulations for importing vehicles to Peru.

Driving standards in Peru are poor. The SOAT is a mandatory vehicle insurance established by law that guarantees the immediate attention of road accident victims, injured and dead.


If opening a personal bank account, you will be expected to submit many documents. Please ask the bank of your choice about requirements. For information on the banking rules and private funds (AFP) regulations in Peru, please visit the website of the Superintendencia de Banca y Seguros. The SBS regulates and supervises the financial, insurance and private funds systems, and prevents and detects money laundering and terrorism financing.

For information on taxes, please visit the Superintendencia Nacional de Aduanas y Administración Tributaria website.

Guidance on bringing medication into Peru

Please contact the Peruvian Consulate in London for information on bringing medication into Peru.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 8 January 2014