Getting married or registering a civil partnership abroad

If you’re a British national getting a marriage or civil partnership abroad, you might need certain documents from the UK government, for example a certificate of no impediment (CNI).

Use this tool to find out how to get the documents you’ll need.

You’ll need to contact the local authorities where you want to get married to find out what you need to do.

Your marriage or civil partnership will be recognised in the UK if both of the following apply:

  • you followed the correct process in the country where you got married
  • it would be allowed under UK law

There’s a separate guide if you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK.

Start now