Living in Argentina

How to obtain criminal records, residence permit, identity cards and other local procedures for British nationals living in Argentina.


This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing or planning to reside in Argentina, including quick links to local and UK official websites for advice on residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our information on what consulates can and cannot do for British nationals.


You should follow the advice of the Argentina’s government and your local authority. You can also read our Travel Advice for Argentina for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Argentina see our coronavirus travel advice.

Entry and residence requirements

For advice on entry requirements for Argentina please visit our Travel Advice pages.

For residence requirements and information on obtaining an identity card known as Documento Nacional de Identidad (DNI), you should visit the Dirección Nacional de Migraciones website.

When applying for residency in Argentina you might be asked to obtain a certificate from the Embassy with information about criminal records which might be held about you. The British Embassy cannot issue any type of certificate in relation to personal information which might be held about you in the UK. You should contact the following UK based agencies for advice on how to apply for this type of information:

Once you have obtained this information you should get it legalised by the Legalisation Office in the UK before submitting it to the Argentine authorities.

Employment and recognised qualifications

For information on whether you are able to work and requirements to work in Argentina please visit the Argentine Consulate in London website.


See our information on claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad and moving or retiring abroad.

Driving licences and vehicles

For information on how to obtain an Argentine driving licence please visit the Gobierno de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires website.

For a confirmation certificate of your UK driving licence you need to get in touch with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

Leaving Argentina

Moving companies will normally ask you to obtain a consular certificate called “Baja Consular” from the British Embassy as a requirement to ship your belongings back to the UK. The British Embassy cannot issue such consular certificates.

We are however able to confirm that holders of British Passports or Passports from other EU countries may reside legally in the UK and that holders of UK visas may also stay in the UK for the period of validity of the visa as long as all entry requirements are met on arrival in country. You can print off this information as an Information Note to hand in to moving companies or local authorities.

For Argentine Customs related information please visit the AFIP’s website.

For information on entering with pets to Argentina, please visit the Argentine Consulate in London website.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCDO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 5 November 2013
Last updated 20 May 2022 + show all updates
  1. FCDO update.

  2. Coronavirus section added with a link to guidance on vaccines

  3. Last updated 2 December 2020

  4. Last updated 6 May 2019

  5. Disclaimer updated

  6. Changes to the items in the guide.

  7. Changed the 'Returning to the UK' content.

  8. First published.