Prove you have right of abode in the UK

Skip to contents of guide

Apply for a certificate of entitlement

You can apply for a certificate of entitlement to prove you have right of abode in the UK. It goes in your passport.

You need to apply for a new certificate when your passport expires.

How you apply for a certificate of entitlement depends on whether you’re inside or outside the UK.

You cannot get a certificate if you already have a British passport or a valid certificate of entitlement in another foreign passport.

Apply in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man

A certificate of entitlement costs £372 in the UK.

Read the guidance to check you can apply.

Fill in the form online. You’ll usually be able to keep your documents while your application is being processed.

You can also apply in other ways.

Get help to apply online

You can get help with completing the online form if you:

  • do not feel confident using a computer or mobile device
  • do not have internet access

You can only use this service if you’re applying in the UK.

You cannot get immigration advice through this service.

Apply from outside the UK or from a British overseas territory

If you are not in the UK, or you live in a British overseas territory, you must apply online.

A certificate of entitlement costs £388 outside the UK.

North Korea

You cannot apply online if you’re living in North Korea.

To apply from North Korea you must:

If your application is refused

Your application fee will not be refunded if your application is refused because you do not qualify for right of abode or you do not send in enough evidence to support your claim.


You’ll be told how you can appeal if your application is rejected.

You will not have a right of appeal if your rejected application was received on or after 6 April 2015.

If you made your application in the UK, you can apply to have your application reconsidered if you think UKVI did not make the decision in line with the law or their policy.