Get a copy of your police records

You have the right to ask for a copy of records the police have about you. This is called a ‘subject access request’.

You might need a subject access request if you move to another country.

A subject access request has records from:

  • police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man
  • the British Transport Police

You can contact ACRO to make a subject access request.

The process is different if you need to request records from Scotland.

Police certificates for visa applications

You can contact ACRO to request a police certificate. You may need a certificate if you’re applying for a visa or emigrating to some countries, including:

  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • South Africa
  • the USA

It costs £55 to get the certificate.

It may take up to 20 working days to receive a certificate.

Personal record requests from other organisations

You can also request your personal records from the following organisations: