HM Prison Service
Terrorist prisoners to face tougher limits behind bars
Terrorist prisoners to be banned from taking leading roles in religious services.
New Lord Chancellor announces 13,000 cameras now available to every prison officer on shift.
Government awards £1.8 million to prepare more offenders for work and training.
New modern prison cells that can be built and rolled-out at speed in order to boost jail capacity and keep the public safe were unveiled at HMP Norwich yesterday (2 March 2023).
Become a prison officer
Working in a prison can make a difference. To find out more about becoming a prison officer visit our jobs site.
Latest from the HM Prison Service
What we do
We keep those sentenced to prison in custody, helping them lead law-abiding and useful lives, both while they are in prison and after they are released.
HMPS is an executive agency, sponsored by HM Prison and Probation Service.
News and communications
- First generation of Unlocked prison officers graduate as scheme expands to north
- Offender rehabilitation drive boosted by new ROTL rules
Policy papers and consultations
- A Guide for the families and significant others of those serving indeterminate sentences
- Outcomes for Young Adults in Custody: Action Plan
Transparency and freedom of information releases
- HM Prison and Probation Service Organisation Chart
- Multi-agency public protection arrangements (MAPPA) annual reports 2021 to 2022
HM Prison Service
0300 047 6325
Prisoner Location Service
PO Box 2152
0121 626 3474
Use the Prisoner Location Service to find people in prison when you don’t know which prison they are in. You must include:
- your name, or the organisation you represent
- your date of birth
- your address including postcode
- name of the person you want to find
- the reason you want to find them eg. you’re their solicitor, or a family member
- any other names they may have used
- their date of birth
Make an FOI request
- Read about the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act and how to make a request.
- Check our previous releases to see if we’ve already answered your question.
- Make a new request by contacting us using the details below.
Freedom of Information requests
Postal Point 10.25, Floor 10
102 Petty France
Jobs and contracts