Living in Oman

Advice for British people living in Oman, including information on health, education, employment, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing in Oman, including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See Our Services section for more information on the services we can provide for British nationals. This information supplements the travel advice for Oman.


Most employers provide medical cover for their expatriate employees. If your employer does not provide comprehensive medical cover you should take out your own comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. All expatriates are required to have a medical exam prior to taking up employment. See the Ministry of Health, Omanfor information.


Ministry of Higher Education, Oman

British Council

Expatriate children attend private fee paying schools. There are a number to choose from.


In order to work in Oman you must have a working visa. If you work without a proper visa, you are breaking the law and can be subjected to a prison sentence and fine if detained. The Ministry of Manpower requires educational documents to be legalised. It is best to have this done prior to arriving in Oman otherwise the document needs to be taken to the British Council for verification. The verified document can then be taken to Ministry of Foreign Affairs for legalisation.

Entry and residence requirements

Information on different entry visas is available on the Royal Oman Police website and our Travel advice.

Residence visas are arranged by your sponsor in Oman and in order to bring your family on a residence or family joining visa you will need all relevant documents like the marriage and/or birth certificates legalised Apostille from the United Kingdom. Residents and visitors in Oman are required to carry identification documents with them at all times.

Driving licences and vehicles

The British embassy cannot issue or renew a UK driving license. For information about renewing a licence or applying for a new licence please visit driving license section on the website

UK driving licences can be exchanged for an Omani driving licence as long as your UK driving licence is valid for one year and you have both the plastic photo card and the paper endorsement page. You will be expected to take an eye test. More guidance is available on Royal Oman Police website For queries regarding UK driving licences please contact Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) in the UK.

Guidance on bringing medication into Oman

Please check with the nearest Oman Embassy to you. The Oman embassy in London is located at:

Embassy of The Sultanate of Oman
167 Queen's Gate

Tel:+44 2072250001

Fax:+44 2075892505

Sponsoring family members

UK Birth Death and Marriage certificates

In order to obtain a dependent resident visa for your spouse and/or children to join you in Oman, you are required to provide a certified copy of your marriage certificate and your children’s birth certificate to your employer. The British embassy is unable to issue a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate issued from the United Kingdom or another British Embassy/High Commission.

You must obtain an Apostille on the certificate from the legalisation office in United Kingdom. The document can then be submitted directly to your employer to obtain the dependent resident visa.

Detailed information on how to obtain an Apostille from the legalisation office in the United Kingdom is available on the legalisation office website.

A ‘No Objection Letter’ is required from the husband/father in order for wife/children to change their sponsorship to another sponsor or visa. The No Objection Letter can be witnessed at the embassy by booking an online appointment through the website.


Bouncing a cheque is illegal. If a cheque is presented without adequate funds to cover the amount, you can face criminal and civil charges. After you have served your jail sentence you will not be able to leave the country until the funds have been paid in full.

Property and property disputes

The only place an expatriate can buy property in Oman is on the Wave or Muscat Hills developments. Seek legal advice for more information.

Social ethics and traditions

Please see our Travel advice for detailed guidance.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the Embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 12 December 2013