Support for British nationals abroad

This page lists guidance on how you can help yourself stay safe abroad, and the help the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) can provide.

Contact us 24/7

You can call us, write to us or message us on social media.

If you need to contact us urgently or in an emergency, for example, if you have been in an accident overseas or arrested abroad, it’s best to call us.

Call the nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate , or the FCDO in UK on +44 (0)20 7008 5000, selecting the option: ‘Consular services for British nationals’. You’ll be put through to our 24/7 Consular team in our Consular Contact Centre.

You can also contact us by:

We aim to reply to you in line with our service guidelines.

If you need to visit a British embassy, high commission or consulate for support when you are abroad, you should make an appointment first. Call your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate at any time, selecting the option ‘Consular services for British nationals’.  You’ll be put through to our 24/7 Consular Contact Centre, who will signpost you to the appropriate page on GOV.UK so you can book an appointment online. 

We cannot make appointments for UK visas for non-British nationals. Nor can we provide assistance with other matters that other UK government departments are responsible for.

Travel advice by country

Before you travel, read FCDO travel advice for the places you will visit. It provides our latest information to help you understand travel risks in each country, and how to stay safe while you’re there.

Before you travel abroad

Read our guidance on how to plan ahead, including for any risks, and what to consider to stay safe when travelling. It includes a travel checklist, finance information and advice on specific travel topics.

Emergency help for British people abroad

Find out how the FCDO can help you if you are involved in a serious incident or accident, or are a victim of crime whilst abroad.

Help in a crisis

Read how the FCDO can help you in a crisis abroad (eg natural disasters, civil unrest, terrorist attacks or global pandemics).

Passports and emergency travel documents

Find out how to cancel a lost passport, renew a passport or apply for an emergency travel document.

Travel and the law

Read information about child abduction, adopting a child abroad, forced marriage, female genital mutilation and other legal issues.

Notarial and document services, and finding other professional services abroad

This section provides information about legalising documents, how to get married, how to register a birth or death abroad. It also provides and lists of funeral directors, lawyers, translators and interpreters, and medical facilities abroad.

Living abroad

Read information for British people planning to live abroad, and find out what to consider if you are returning to the UK after living abroad.

About our consular services

This section provides information about who we can help, how we can help, our consular charter, and how to give us feedback.

Updates to this page

Published 31 August 2022