Write to the court where the divorce, dissolution or annulment took place to get a copy of a decree absolute or final order.

Find the address for the court using the court finder.

Send the court a letter with:

  • your name and address
  • the case number
  • a cheque or postal order payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’

A copy of a decree absolute or final order costs £10.

If you don’t know the case number

You can give the court the date you think the case happened. The court will search 5 years of records either side of that date.

If you can’t give them a date, the court will search the last 10 years of records.

It costs £45 for every 10 years of records searched.

If you don’t know which court to ask

You can ask the Central Family Court to search for the decree absolute or final order. This will cost £65 for each 10 year period that’s searched.

Fill in form D440 and return it to the address below with the fee.

Central Family Court
First Avenue House
42 - 49 High Holborn

If you’re paying by cheque, make it payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’.