Check you can end your civil partnership

You can apply to end (‘dissolve’) your civil partnership if you’ve been in the partnership for over a year. You must apply to a court to do this.

If you do not want to end the civil partnership, you can get a legal separation. You can apply for separation during the first year of your civil partnership.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

There’s a different process to end a civil partnership in Scotland or end a civil partnership in Northern Ireland.

Arrangements for children, money and property

You and your partner may need to work out:

You also need to divide your money and property.

You can usually avoid going to court hearings if you agree about children, money and property and the reasons for ending your civil partnership.

Get help or advice

You can get advice about legal paperwork and making arrangements from:

Find a legal adviser if you need legal advice.