Apply for a conditional order

You can get a conditional order if your partner agrees to end the civil partnership.

A conditional order is the first of 2 stages to getting the civil partnership dissolved - the second stage is getting a final order.

If your partner doesn’t agree to end the civil partnership, you can still apply for a conditional order. You’ll have to go to a hearing at the court to discuss the case, where a judge will decide whether to grant you the conditional order.

You must wait at least 9 days after your civil partner has received their copy of the dissolution application.

Fill in the application form

To apply for a conditional order, fill in the application for a conditional order.

If your partner is defending the case, fill in section B of the form, saying you want a ‘case management hearing’ before the judge.

You also need to fill in a statement confirming that what you said in your dissolution application is true.

There are 4 statement forms - use the one that covers the grounds you’ve given for ending the civil partnership:

The forms will need to show your civil partner:

  • has received the dissolution application
  • agrees to the dissolution if you’re using the fact that you’ve been living apart for 2 years as your reason
  • agrees with any arrangement proposed for children

Attach your civil partner’s response to the dissolution application, and send it to the court. Keep your own copy.