Work in another EU country


You have the right to work in any country in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland without a work permit if you’re a UK citizen.

The EEA includes:

You can search for jobs in the EEA and Switzerland on the EURES website.

Your rights

You’ll have the same rights as nationals of the country you’re working in when it comes to:

  • working conditions
  • pay
  • social security (for example, benefits)

There will be no change to the rights and status of UK nationals living and working in the EU while the UK remains in the EU.

Work in a non-EU country

You’ll need a work permit to work in most non-EU countries if you’re a UK citizen. In most cases, you’ll need a job offer from your chosen country so that you can get a visa to move there.

Check with the UK-based embassy of the country you want to work in to see what you need to do.