Work in an EU country

Skip to contents of guide

Healthcare and insurance

When you apply for an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), you can get free or cheaper state-provided medical treatment in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries.

You can get an EHIC if your UK employer has sent you to work in an EEA country for a short time.

The EEA includes:

You usually have to pay for any medical treatment outside of the EEA, but you can get free or reduced cost treatment in some other countries.