Living in Lithuania

Information for British citizens moving to or living in Lithuania, including guidance on residency, healthcare, and driving.

This guide sets out essential information for British citizens moving to or living in Lithuania. Read about how our embassy in Vilnius can help.

This information is provided as a guide only. You should get definitive information from the Lithuanian authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) is not liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

Read general guidance on moving or retiring abroad.

To stay up to date:

If you were living in Lithuania before 1 January 2021

Some parts of this guide only apply if you have been living in Lithuania since before 1 January 2021. You should read these in addition to the rest of the guidance in each section.

You should also read our Living in Europe page for detailed guidance about citizens’ rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.


Follow the advice of the Lithuanian government and your local authority. You should also read the Lithuania travel advice.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Lithuania, read coronavirus travel advice.

Visas and residency

You must tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

Check the entry requirements for Lithuania.

If you plan to stay in Lithuania for longer than 3 months, you must apply for a residence permit from the Migration Department.

Visas and residency if you were living in Lithuania before 1 January 2021

If you have lived in Lithuania since before 1 January 2021, you and your family members have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

We strongly recommend that you request the ‘leidimas gyventi’. This document shows that you have the rights defined in the Withdrawal Agreement. It also shows your right to enter Lithuania and exempts you from the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) and visa requirements.

Read the Migration Department’s guidance on how to get the new permit. It is free to exchange your current permit for the leidimas gyventi. If the leidimas gyventi is your first residence permit, you must pay 120 Euros.

You can ask staff from the Migration Department to visit you at home if you are unable to go to the Migration Department, due to disability, age or illness.

If you are a dual UK-Lithuanian national, you are considered a citizen of Lithuania. You will not be issued with the leidimas gyventi.

Your close family members continue to be able to join you and settle in Lithuania at any time in the future. Read more information on who this applies to in the Living in Europe guidance.

They must complete an application as a family member through the MIGRIS e-system and visit the Migration Department in Lithuania. Nationals of certain non-EU countries may need a visa before travel. The Lithuanian authorities should issue family reunion visas free of charge.

Passports and travel

Coronavirus travel restrictions may affect travel to and from Lithuania.

You can apply for or renew your British passport from Lithuania.

Check the Lithuania travel advice for passport validity requirements.

Always carry your passport when travelling within the Schengen area. If you have citizenship of an EU or European Free Trade Association (EFTA) country, in addition to your British citizenship, you should enter and leave Lithuania using your EU or EFTA passport.

If you stay in Lithuania with a Lithuanian residence permit or long stay visa, this time does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit for the Schengen area.

If you visit other Schengen area countries outside Lithuania, make sure you do not exceed the visa-free 90 days in any 180-day period. You are responsible for counting how long you stay under the Schengen visa waiver, and you must comply with its conditions.

Different rules apply to EU countries that are not part of the Schengen area. Check each country’s travel advice page for information on entry requirements.

If you were living in Lithuania before 1 January 2021

When you travel carry your residence document (leidimas gyventi) or frontier worker permit issued under the Withdrawal Agreement, in addition to your valid passport.

You must proactively show your residence document, or other evidence of residence status, if you are asked to show your passport at the border control. Other evidence may be your tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name, dating from 2020. If you have applied for, but not yet received, your residence document, show your certificate of registration.

If you cannot prove that you are a resident in Lithuania, you may be asked additional questions at the border to enter the EU. Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in the country or countries where you live or work. If a passport is stamped, the stamp is considered null and void when you can show evidence of lawful residence.

If you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, you can enter and exit Lithuania with a valid passport. You do not need any additional validity on the passport beyond the dates on which you are travelling.


You must register for healthcare as a resident in Lithuania, and if necessary, for health insurance.

Read our guidance on healthcare in Lithuania and make sure you are correctly registered for your circumstances.

Travel insurance is not intended to cover healthcare costs if you live overseas.

You should also read our guidance on:

Working in Lithuania

If you are planning to move to Lithuania and work there, you may need a visa.

To apply for a job you may need to:


If you plan to work in Lithuania, even if you work for a UK based employer, this may affect where you pay National Insurance-type contributions. Read the National insurance and social security contributions section for more information.

If you were living in Lithuania before 1 January 2021

You have the right to work under the Withdrawal Agreement if you have a residence document (leidimas gyventi), or have applied for one.

If you live in Lithuania and were regularly commuting to work in another EU or EFTA country before 1 January 2021, read our guidance for frontier workers.

Professional qualifications

You may need to get your professional qualification recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in Lithuania.

Read guidance on:

If you were living in Lithuania before 1 January 2021

If the relevant regulator in Lithuania officially recognised your professional qualification before 1 January 2021, or you started the recognition process by this date, make sure you understand the terms of your decision. You should get advice from the relevant regulator.

Studying in Lithuania

If you plan to study in Lithuania, you must meet all visa requirements before you travel.

Contact the relevant higher education provider in Lithuania to check what fees you may have to pay.

Read our guidance on:

If you were living in Lithuania before 1 January 2021

The studying in European Union guide includes information if you were already living in Lithuania before 1 January 2021.


The UK has a double taxation agreement with Lithuania so that you do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. Ask the relevant tax authority your questions about double taxation relief.

You should get professional advice on paying tax in Lithuania. Find an English-speaking lawyer in Lithuania.

Read guidance on:

National insurance and social security contributions

National Insurance-type contributions (NIC) are called ‘social security contributions’ (SSC) in Lithuania. Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Lithuania.

If you plan to move to Lithuania and work, even if you continue working for a UK-based company, you and your employer may need to pay social security contributions in Lithuania. These social security contributions would entitle you to certain benefits, such as healthcare, in Lithuania.

Read guidance on national insurance for workers from the UK working in the EEA or Switzerland

You can also check your UK National Insurance record.


UK benefits

Read guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Lithuania.

Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit cannot be paid if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

Lithuanian benefits

You may be eligible to claim some Lithuanian social security benefits.


Read guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Lithuania.

Read State Pension guidance if you have lived in Australia, Canada or New Zealand and you are claiming or waiting to claim your UK State Pension.

If you retire in Lithuania, you can claim:

Read the Money and Pension Service’s MoneyHelper guidance on pension and retirement for more information on cross-border pensions.

Life certificates for UK State Pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you must respond as soon as possible. Your payments may be suspended if you do not.

Money and banking

Whether UK banks can provide services to customers living in the EEA depends on local laws and regulation.

Read the Money and Pension Service’s MoneyHelper guidance on banking, insurance and financial services for more information on cross-border banking.

Accommodation and buying property

Read guidance on how to buy property abroad.

Driving in Lithuania

You cannot renew or replace your UK, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man licence if you live in Lithuania. Read the guidance on what you must do to drive legally in Lithuania.

Read our guidance on:

Exchanging your UK licence

If you live in Lithuania, you must exchange your licence for a Lithuanian licence. You do not need to take a driving test to exchange your licence if you obtained your UK licence before 1 January 2021.

If your licence was issued after 1 January 2021 you must take a driving test. Read the guidance on how to exchange your licence. You cannot use an International Driving Permit (IDP) instead of exchanging your licence.

Exchanging your UK, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man licence

The UK and Lithuania are currently negotiating long-term arrangements for exchanging these licences without the requirement for a test. Sign up for email alerts to get notified when we update this page.

Disabled drivers

If you have a UK Blue Badge and live in Lithuania, you must return it to the original UK issuing authority. You can apply for a new Lithuanian disabled parking card.

Read the EU guidance on the EU parking card for people with disabilities.

Bringing a UK-registered vehicle to Lithuania

Read our guidance on taking a vehicle out of the UK.

Driving outside Lithuania with a Lithuanian licence

You can use your Lithuanian licence when visiting the UK. Keep up-to-date with the UK Highway Code.

If you go to live in the UK, you can exchange your Lithuanian licence for a UK one without taking a test.

To drive in another country, in addition to your Lithuanian licence, you may need to apply for an IDP.

Read the EU guidance on:


If you have been living in Lithuania for more than 5 years and are registered as a permanent resident, you can vote in local municipal elections.

You cannot vote in European Parliament elections.

You may be able to vote in some UK elections. You can:

Births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships

If your child is born in Lithuania, you can register the birth with the UK authorities in addition to registering locally. If your child has British nationality, you do not need to register the birth with the UK authorities to apply for a British passport.

If someone dies in Lithuania read our guidance on:

Find out how you can get married or get a civil partnership abroad.

You may also need:


If you’re moving to Lithuania with your pet, read the guidance and ensure you comply with the regulations:

To visit other countries with your pet, check the rules for the country you’re travelling to. Contact your vet to get the travel documents your pet needs.

Read guidance on:


Dial the European emergency number on 112 in Lithuania for the police, ambulance and fire brigade.

Dial the EU 116 000 hotline to report a missing child in the EU country where you live or in another EU country.

If you need guidance on child abduction, read the guidance on international parental child abduction; the Lithuanian government’s guidance on child abduction; the EU guidance on child abduction and EU guidance on child abduction to another EU country.

If you’re the victim of a crime, have been arrested, or are affected by a crisis, contact the British Embassy Vilnius.

Returning to the UK

Check the COVID-19 travel guidance for entering the UK.

Tell the Lithuanian and UK authorities if you are returning to the UK permanently.

To move your pension to the UK, contact International Pension Centre.

Read the guidance on returning to the UK permanently which includes information on, amongst other things, tax, access to services and bringing family members.

Useful information

Support for British nationals abroad: a guide sets out how to stay safe abroad and explains how the FCDO can support you if you get into difficulty.

Published 23 April 2018
Last updated 11 March 2022 + show all updates
  1. Important information in the Working in Lithuania, and National insurance sections if you work in Lithuania, even it if it is for an employer based in the UK.

  2. Guidance reviewed and updated throughout.

  3. Guidance reviewed for Money, tax and banking, Benefits, Births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships, and Useful information sections.

  4. Guidance reviewed for Passport and travel, Healthcare, Working in Lithuania, Studying in Lithuania, Emergencies, and Returning to the UK sections.

  5. Professional qualifications section updated for British citizens who are moving or moved to Lithuania after 1 January 2021 and those living there since before 1 January 2021.

  6. Working in Lithuania section updated: new guidance for frontier workers

  7. Minor change

  8. Healthcare section updated including guidance on the S1 form and applying for EHIC and GHIC cards; working and studying in Lithuania section updated with link to Department for International Trade (DIT) guidance on working or providing services and link to DIT guidance on recognition of professional qualifications.

  9. Coronavirus section updated with a link to guidance on vaccines.

  10. Updated as the transition period ends with new information on residency, pet travel and moving to Lithuania.

  11. Passports and travel section updated on carrying proof of residence when travelling.

  12. Healthcare section updated on how to apply for a new UK EHIC as a student or S1 holder. Working section updated with information on frontier workers

  13. minor update on driving license

  14. Passports and travel section updated to include information on passport validity and entry requirements when travelling to other European countries from January 2021

  15. Brexit update: includes further details on passport validity, healthcare rights and State Pension uprating if the UK leaves the EU with a deal.

  16. Brexit update: healthcare section updated to reflect transitional arrangements announcement

  17. Brexit update: Pensions section updated to include further details on State Pension uprating.

  18. EU Exit update: added latest information about EU Exit to passports, pensions and returning to the UK sections

  19. EU Exit update: updated information on healthcare, visas and residency, voting and driving licences

  20. We have updated the contact details you need to apply for an S1 form.

  21. Updated information on passports: you must use the checker tool to see if your passport is still valid for your trip

  22. EU Exit update: added in links to the Lithuanian government website

  23. EU Exit update: updated information on access to healthcare

  24. EU Exit update: updated information on pensions and driving.

  25. EU Exit update: New information in residency and visa section on draft withdrawal agreement in principle between the UK and EU. Plus information on travelling with pets in Europe in pet section.

  26. First published.