Healthcare for UK nationals living in Lithuania

How to get state healthcare if you live, work or study in Lithuania.

Stay up to date

This guidance will be updated if anything changes to how you get state healthcare in Lithuania.

Sign up for email alerts

This information is about living in Lithuania. There’s different guidance if you’re visiting Lithuania.

Lithuanian residents usually pay into the national health insurance scheme called Privalomasis Sveikatos Draudimas (PSD). Medical care is mostly free for people covered by the scheme.

Healthcare is managed by a national health insurance fund and Territorial Health Insurance Funds (THIF) in each of the 5 regions of Lithuania, using funds from PSD.

UK nationals usually access the Lithuanian healthcare system in one of these ways:

  • registering as a resident and paying into the national health insurance scheme
  • using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) for temporary stays
  • registering a UK-issued S1 form with one of the insurance funds

Healthcare if you live and work in Lithuania

You need to register as a resident before signing up to pay into the national health insurance scheme.

If you’re employed by a Lithuanian employer they will automatically enroll you on to the national health insurance scheme. Your dependants will be covered too.

If you’re self-employed or not working, you need to join the national health insurance scheme directly.

You may be entitled to a Lithuanian EHIC for travel, including visits to the UK.

You may also have the right to apply for a UK S1 if you start drawing a UK State Pension.

How to register

Apply for temporary or permanent residency. You’ll need to apply online then visit a Migration Department office. Find out what documents you need.

Sign up to the national health insurance scheme (PSD). Your employer will enrol you and arrange for contributions to come out of your salary.

If you’re self-employed or not working, you need to sign up to pay contributions.

You can choose your GP from a list of health centres in your municipality.

How much you’ll pay

You need to pay the national insurance fund around 508 euros a year or around 42 euros a month.

If you’re employed, this will be taken directly out of your salary.

Healthcare services and treatment are free. You may need to pay towards some prescription medicines.

If your UK employer has sent you to Lithuania temporarily (‘posted workers’)

A posted worker, also known as a ‘detached worker’, is someone employed or self-employed in the UK, but temporarily sent to a European Economic Area (EEA) country.

UK posted workers can access healthcare in Lithuania using an EHIC, GHIC or S1 form.

HMRC has a helpline for National Insurance enquiries from non-UK residents. This can answer questions about posted worker status and explain which documents you will need to get healthcare while posted.

UK-funded healthcare: using an S1 form in Lithuania

There’s different guidance if you have an S1 as a posted worker.

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you’re a Lithuanian resident and receive a UK State Pension.

You may also be entitled to an S1 form if you’re a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another). You must contact HMRC National Insurance enquiries to find out if you’re eligible.

If you started living in Lithuania before 1 January 2021, you may also be entitled to an S1 if you receive some other ‘exportable benefits’.

Not all UK benefits that can be claimed while abroad entitle you to UK-funded healthcare. Read more about claiming benefits if you move abroad or contact Jobcentre Plus to ask about a benefit.

Once you have an S1 form, you must register it on the Lithuanian system.

This will mean you and your dependants will be entitled to healthcare in Lithuania on the same basis as a Lithuanian citizen.

You’ll also get:

Dependants and family members may be classified differently in Lithuania than the UK.

Check with the local authorities when you register your S1 form.

How to get an S1 form

If you have a UK State Pension, you must request an application form by phone from NHS Overseas Healthcare Services.

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm

How to use an S1 form in Lithuania

You must register your S1 with your nearest Territorial Health Insurance Fund office. You’ll need 2 copies of your S1 form and proof of ID such as a passport.

Once registered, you’re entitled to healthcare on the same basis as a Lithuanian citizen.

Studying in Lithuania

You can use an EHIC or GHIC to get medically necessary healthcare until the end of your study period.

Getting treatment in the UK

Some former UK residents do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting England. This includes UK nationals who started living in the EU before 1 January 2021.

Read more about healthcare when you no longer live in the UK.

If you return to live in the UK you’ll be able to use the NHS like any other UK resident.

Read more about using the NHS when you return to live in the UK.

Published 23 September 2019
Last updated 16 February 2021 + show all updates
  1. Updated 'posted worker' section to reflect that posted workers can continue working and accessing state healthcare in Lithuania, and added detail to ‘getting treatment in the UK’ section about healthcare when you no longer live in the UK.

  2. Updated sections on living and working in Lithuania, using an S1 form in Lithuania, posted workers and studying in Lithuania. Changes reflect healthcare arrangements for people moving to Lithuania under the new rules of the UK’s deal with the EU.

  3. Updated 2 sections: ‘Healthcare if you’re using an S1 form in Lithuania' and ‘Healthcare if you’re studying in Lithuania’. Students and people with a registered S1 in Lithuania can now apply for a new UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) that will remain valid from 1 January 2021.

  4. First published.