Get a statement of your National Insurance contributions (CA3916)

Ask for a statement of your UK National Insurance if you've lived or worked in the UK and are making a benefit claim in an EU or EEA country.


Submit your application online (login using Government Gateway)

Send your request by post


You can ask HMRC to send you a statement of your UK National Insurance record if you’ve lived or worked in the UK and are making a benefit claim in an EU or European Economic Area (EEA) country.

You can either:

  • use the online form service
  • fill in the CA3916 form on-screen, print it off and then post it to HMRC

To send a request, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you send your request.

If you use the online form, you’ll get a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your form.

Information you’ll need

To send your request you’ll need:

  • dates when you were resident in the UK
  • dates of any periods of self-employment you’ve had in the UK in the last 3 years
  • details of any periods of employment you’ve had in the UK in the last 3 years, including:
    • employer’s addresses
    • dates when you were employed
    • the date of your last period of Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA), if you received JSA between your last period of work and now

You’ll also need to send the following information:

  • evidence of your earnings from your most recent job (for example, a final payslip or P60 form)
  • a document showing the reason why you left (for example, a letter terminating your contract)

How to use the postal form

If you want to use the postal form you’ll have to fill it in fully before you can print it off. You cannot save a partly completed form, so make sure you have all the information you’ll need before you start to fill it in.

If you’re using an older web browser (for example, Internet Explorer 8) you’ll need to update it or use a different browser to use the postal form.

National Insurance contributions when you work outside the UK
Find out if you might be able to pay UK National Insurance while you’re working abroad, depending on where you’re working and for how long.

Social Security Abroad: NI38
This leaflet is about paying National Insurance contributions to the UK and getting benefits when abroad.

Published 2 June 2014
Last updated 7 September 2017 + show all updates
  1. An online forms service is now available.

  2. The online form is temporarily withdrawn for functional updates.

  3. Welsh translation added to the page.

  4. An online service is now available.

  5. Related forms and guidance added.

  6. First published.