Get a statement of your UK National Insurance if you've lived or worked in the UK and are making a benefit claim in an EU or EEA country.
You can ask HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to send you a statement of your UK National Insurance record if you’ve lived or worked in the UK and are making a benefit claim in an EU or European Economic Area (EEA) country.
You can either:
- use the online form service (you’ll have sign in to, or set up a Government Gateway account)
- fill in the form on-screen, print it off and then post it to HMRC
If you use the online form, you’ll get a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your form.
Information you’ll need
To send your request you’ll need:
- dates when you were resident in the UK
- dates of any periods of self-employment you’ve had in the UK in the last 3 years
- details of any periods of employment you’ve had in the UK in the last 3 years, including:
- employer’s addresses
- dates when you were employed
- the date of your last period of Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA), if you received JSA between your last period of work and now
You’ll also need to send the following information:
- evidence of your earnings from your most recent job (for example, a final payslip or form P60)
- if you didn’t resign from your job, a document showing the reason why you left (for example, a letter terminating your contract)
How to use the postal form
If you want to use the postal form you’ll have to fill it in fully before you can print it off. You can’t save a partly completed form, so make sure you have all the information you’ll need before you start to fill it in.
If you’re using an older web browser (for example, Internet Explorer 8) you’ll need to update it or use a different browser to use the postal form.
Related forms and guidance
National Insurance contributions when you work outside the UK
Find out if you might be able to pay UK National Insurance while you’re working abroad, depending on where you’re working and how long for.
Social Security Abroad: NI38
This leaflet is about paying National Insurance contributions to the UK and getting benefits when abroad.
Published: 2 June 2014
Updated: 7 September 2017
- An online forms service is now available.
- The online form is temporarily withdrawn for functional updates.
- Welsh translation added to the page.
- An online service is now available.
- Related forms and guidance added.
- First published.