National Insurance: general enquiries


Ask HMRC online

Ask HMRC’s digital assistant to find information about:

  • checking contributions
  • getting employment history
  • finding a National Insurance number

Get your National Insurance number

Get your National Insurance number by:

  • registering and logging into your personal tax account to view a letter with it on
  • filling in the online form and posting it to us, if you’re unable to register for a personal tax account

You can also find your National Insurance number on your payslip, P60, tax returns or official letters about tax, pensions or benefits.

Check your National Insurance record

Use this service to see any gaps in your National Insurance contributions.

Check your State Pension

Use this service to find out:

  • how much State Pension you could get
  • when you can get it
  • if you can increase it
  • how you can increase it

Tell HMRC you've changed name or address

If HMRC needs to contact you about anything confidential they’ll reply by phone or post.


Call this number if you have not received your National Insurance number or have lost or forgotten it.

You can also call for help and information about:

  • Class 1 National Insurance rates and thresholds
  • Class 2 and 3 National Insurance
  • Statutory Payments
  • Married Women’s Reduced Rate Election
  • National Insurance statement requests
  • employment histories
  • Parents and Carers credits
  • gaps in your National Insurance contributions

To make sure you speak to the right adviser, you must specify if your query is related to your National Insurance number, no matter what regime you’re using.

Have your National Insurance number with you, if you have one.

Contact Income Tax: general enquiries if you have a question about Class 4 National Insurance.

Before you call

This helpline uses speech recognition software, so you will be asked why you are calling HMRC. If you cannot use speech recognition software, find out how to deal with HMRC if you have additional needs.

This helpline may also ask you some security questions. Make sure your personal details and address are up to date in your personal tax account or you could fail telephone security. If you do not have a personal tax account, you can create one before you check your details.

HMRC may ask if you want to add voice identification to your account. You can find out more in the Voice Identification Privacy Notice.

0300 200 3500

0300 200 3519

Outside UK:
+ 44 191 203 7010

Opening times:

Our phone line opening hours are:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm

Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

If your call is not urgent, you can find out information in:

Find out about call charges


Write to HMRC at this address with all National Insurance queries except complaints.

You do not need to include a street name, city name or PO box when writing to this address.

Couriers should use a different address.

PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom