Ask for a National Insurance statement online to check if you have gaps in your National Insurance record. You’ll need to say which years you want your statement to cover.

You can also call the National Insurance helpline or write to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

National Insurance contributions and Employers Office
HM Revenue and Customs

Contact HMRC if you live or work abroad.

Gaps in the current or previous tax year

Statements don’t cover the current or previous tax year - contact the Future Pension Centre to ask about recent gaps.

What your statement covers

Your statement will show:

  • your National Insurance payments or credits (including whether they’re Class 1, 2 or 3 contributions)
  • if gaps in payments or credits mean some years aren’t ‘qualifying years’ (they don’t count towards your State Pension)
  • if you can pay voluntary contributions to fill gaps and how much they’ll cost

Calculate your qualifying years

Use the State Pension calculator to get an estimate of how many qualifying years you have and how much State Pension you’re likely to get.