Living in St Lucia

Advice for British people living in St Lucia, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing in St Lucia including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our ‘Our services’ section for information on what we can and cannot do for British nationals.


The main hospital, Owen King European Union Hospital, which is centrally located, is not free to non-nationals. It is able to cope with many types of treatment, but serious cases will mean emergency evacuation, usually to Martinique or the USA.

The Victoria Hospital has been reserved as a respiratory medical facility to deal with any COVID-19 cases – treatment is free for all patients. There is also a private hospital, Tapion and clinics. Make sure you have adequate health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. Further information on health care in St Lucia can be found on our travel advice page.


For information on vaccines abroad, see our COVID-19 travel guidance.


St Lucia’s state education system is generally of a lower standard than the UK’s. Private schools are available. For more information on schools in St Lucia, visit the Ministry of Education’s website.

Employment and recognised qualifications

British nationals wishing to work in St Lucia must apply for a work permit from the Ministry of Education, Human Resource Development and Labour on (758) 468 5204.

Entry and residence requirements

Entry requirements for British nationals can be found on our travel advice page.

British nationals are not permitted to work in St Lucia without a valid work permit. Information and advice regarding residency, work permits and student visas should be obtained from the St Lucia Immigration Department - TEL: 1 (758) 456 3825 or email: or email the St Lucia High Commission in London


British nationals may be entitled to UK benefits while living in St Lucia. The UK basic state pension is payable in St Lucia. Please contact the International Pension Centre for more information on getting your pension in St Lucia.

You may be thinking about paying voluntary contributions to top up your pension entitlement. For further information on paying voluntary contributions in the UK, contact HM Revenues & Customs.

Driving licences and vehicles

Residents and visitors are required to hold a valid St Lucia licence or permit. Driving licences and permits are issued by the Ministry of Infrastructure, Port Services and Transport on 1 (758) 468 4300 or email

Visitor permits can also be issued by car hire companies.


There are a number of banks in St Lucia and advice should be sought directly from them on how to open an account. You are likely to be asked to produce a reference from your UK bank. It is important to get your tax right when living abroad.

Guidance on bringing medication into St Lucia

British nationals wishing to bring in medication into St Lucia, must contact the Ministry of Health Wellness, Human Services and Gender Relations – Chief Medical Officer on 1(758) 468 5309 or email The St Lucia High Commission can also be contacted in the UK by email:


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the High Commission by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCDO and the British High Commission will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 7 February 2014
Last updated 3 February 2021 + show all updates
  1. Please see the updated 'Living In' Guides for St Lucia - February 2021

  2. First published.