Living in Grenada

Advice for British people living in Grenada, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing in Grenada including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our ‘Our services’ section for information on what we can and cannot do for British nationals.


The main hospital is the General Hospital in the capital, St. George’s which oversees the hospitals and various health centres. Make sure you have adequate health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. Further information on health care in Grenada can be found on our travel advice page or on the Grenada Ministry of Health website.


Grenada generally has a good standard of education for all ages and the school system is similar to that of the UK. For information on the school system in Grenada please contact the Grenada Ministry of Education and Human Resource Development and visit their website.

Entry and residence requirements

Entry requirements for British Nationals can be found on our travel advice page

British Nationals are not permitted to work in Grenada without a valid work permit and students are required to hold a student visa.

Information and advice regarding residency, work permits and student visa should be obtained from the The Ministry of Labour or the Grenada High Commission in London.


British Nationals maybe entitled to UK benefits while living in Grenada. The UK basic state pension is payable in Grenada. Please contact the International Pension Centre for more information on getting your pension in Grenada.
You may be thinking about paying voluntary contributions to top up your pension entitlement. For further information on paying voluntary contributions in the UK, contact HM Revenues & Customs.

Driving licences and vehicles

Residents and visitors are required to hold a valid Grenadian licence or permit to drive on the roads. Driving licences and permits are issued by the police at the Traffic Department in the capital. Most car hire agencies will assist in applying for a temporary driver’s licence. It is necessary to present a current valid driver’s licence issued in the holder’s usual country of residence.


There are a number of banks in Grenada and advice should be sought directly from them on how to open an account. You are likely to be asked to produce a reference from your UK bank.

The UK has a double taxation agreement with Grenada.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 25 November 2013