Living in Portugal

Official information British people moving to and living in Portugal need to know, including EU Exit guidance, residency, healthcare and driving.

EU Exit: what you need to know

Sign up for email alerts on living in Portugal.

There will be no change to the rights and status of UK nationals living in Portugal while the UK remains in the EU.

While the government continues to negotiate the UK’s exit from the EU, you should:

Before you go

See our travel advice for Portugal and sign up for up-to-date information on local laws and customs, safety and emergencies.

The rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change if the UK leaves the EU with no deal. You can check a passport for travel to Europe.

See moving or retiring abroad.

Visas and residency

See entry requirements for Portugal in our travel advice.

If you plan to stay in Portugal more than 3 months, you must register at your local Câmara Municipal (town hall) – see information on registering in Portugal. You must register your residency to access services such as healthcare, schools and social security.

After 5 years of legal residence in Portugal, you may apply for permanent residence with Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (immigration authorities).

The UK and EU have agreed the full legal text of the draft Withdrawal Agreement in principle. The agreement on citizens’ rights will allow UK nationals to stay in their Member State of residence after the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019.

In the event of changes to residency rules or registration processes after 29 March 2019, we will update this page as soon as information is available.

The Portuguese government has publicly confirmed its intention to protect the rights of UK nationals registered as resident in Portugal in any EU exit scenario. Read the Portuguese government’s leaflet on your residency rights after the UK leaves the EU.

Further information is available at the Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs web page (only available in Portuguese).

We will continue to update this page as further information becomes available.


See our travel advice for Portugal.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, your access to healthcare is likely to change. The NHS has more information about healthcare for UK nationals living in and visiting Portugal.

The UK government has or is seeking agreements with countries on healthcare arrangements for UK nationals after 29 March 2019.

Up to 29 March 2019, you should get a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to get emergency medical treatment during temporary stays in EU countries. You also need comprehensive travel insurance to cover anything not covered by your EHIC.

If you plan to visit on or after 29 March 2019, you should continue to buy travel insurance for the health treatment you may need, as you would for a non-EU country. If you have a UK-issued EHIC, it will still be valid until 29 March 2019.

Once you are registered as resident in Portugal ( see Visas and residency ), you are entitled to state healthcare. Enrol at your local health centre and get a user’s ID number by showing your residence certificate. You won’t get a NISS (social security number) unless you’re working or are the dependant of someone who’s working.

You can find English-speaking doctors in Portugal. You should also check your prescriptions are legal in Portugal.

S1 form – healthcare paid for by the UK

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you live in Portugal and get an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit.

You need to apply for a S1 form – contact the Department for Work and Pensions’ International Pensions Centre.

Working and studying in Portugal

See working in another EU country.

Some jobs may require a:

See: Subject Access Request (ODT, 8.27KB)

British qualifications

If you are studying, you may need to have your British qualifications recognised in Portugal – contact:

The UK Legalisation Office can certify your diploma or school report.

A local notary can authenticate the translation of your diploma or school report.

See: Certifying UK Educational Documents (PDF, 336KB, 3 pages)

Money and tax

If you intend to use a bank card, or other financial service from a UK-based firm in the EU after exit, this may be affected. Read more about using a bank card, insurance or other financial service in the EU.

See tax if you leave the UK to live abroad and tax on your UK income if you live abroad.

The UK has a double-taxation agreement with Portugal to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries.

If you are liable to pay tax in Portugal, you should apply for a tax number (número fiscal de contribuinte, NIF). You will also need an NIF to do things like buy or sell property, open a bank account or sign long-term rental agreements.

We recommend you get professional advice on paying tax in Portugal – see list of English-speaking lawyers and financial advisors and fiscal consultants.

You may be able to pay National Insurance while abroad in order to protect your State Pension and entitlement to other benefits and allowances.


See State Pension if you retire abroad and new State Pension.

The UK government will continue to pay state pension, child benefits, and disability benefits to eligible UK nationals in the EU after the UK’s exit from the EU. Find guidance on benefits and pensions in a no deal scenario.

If you haven’t worked in Portugal, you should claim your UK state pension by contacting the International Pension Centre.

If you live in and last worked in Portugal, you should claim your UK state pension, together with any Portuguese pension you are entitled to, from Instituto de Segurança Social.

If you’ve worked in several EU countries, see state pensions abroad.

Life certificates for UK state pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to respond as soon as possible – your payments may be suspended if you don’t.


See claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad.

Find out which UK benefits you might be able to get while you’re abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit can’t be paid if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

You may be eligible to claim some Portuguese social security benefits.

Driving in Portugal

Holders of UK driving licences who are resident in an EU country should exchange their UK licences for a driving licence from the EU country you are living in before 29 March 2019. For more information see driving abroad.


See how to import your vehicle into Portugal and taking a vehicle out of the UK.

If you are resident in Portugal and drive on a UK licence, you must register your licence with the Instituto da Mobilidade e de Transportes (IMT) within 60 days of arrival, or face a fine.

If you are resident in Portugal, you will not be able to renew a lost, stolen or expired licence with the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). It may be easier to convert your UK licence to a Portuguese one.

You can exchange an expired UK licence for up to 2 years after the expiration date. After 2 years, you will have to pass a Portuguese driving test.

Accommodation and buying property

See buying a property abroad.

We advise you to consult a lawyer who is experienced in land law and property transactions. Make sure they are registered with the law society, Ordem dos Advogados.

Some notaries offer an independent property purchasing service known as Casa Simples, Casa Segura. Notaries in Portugal are trained lawyers.

If you are thinking of buying a coastal, river or lakeside property, ensure it’s not affected by the 2005 water resources law.

If you buy rural property, make sure you comply with the law on preventing forest fires.


British citizens living abroad can vote in some UK elections – you’ll need to register as an overseas voter.

If you’re resident in Portugal, you can vote in local municipal and European Parliamentary Elections.


See register a birth abroad.


See what to do after someone dies.

See also:

Getting married

See getting married abroad.

Renewing passports

See overseas British passports applications and get an emergency travel document (sometimes called an emergency passport).


See travelling with pets.

UK nationals will still be able to travel to and from the UK with a pet (cat, dog or ferret) when the UK leaves the EU, but the rules will change. See pet travel to Europe after EU Brexit for more information.


The emergency number in Portugal is 112.

If you need urgent help, contact your nearest British embassy or consulate.

Other useful information

Returning to the UK

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.



Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Portuguese authorities. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

Published 22 March 2013
Last updated 29 January 2019 + show all updates
  1. EU Exit update: updated information on access to healthcare
  2. EU exit update - updated information on pensions and driving
  3. EU Exit Update; The Portuguese government has produced a leaflet with more information on your residency rights after the UK leaves the EU.
  4. EU Exit update: Added in link to information about upcoming outreach meetings in Portugal.
  5. EU Exit update: New information in residency and visa section on draft withdrawal agreement in principle between the UK and EU. Plus information on travelling with pets in Europe in Pets section. In addition: Updated information on subject access request - amended website links.
  6. Added important specific information on certifying UK educational documents and on Subject Access Request.
  7. Updated May 2018
  8. Complete revision of guidance to ensure it's up to date and accurate.
  9. Attached updated Driving Licences leaflet and added updated Car Importation Leaflet.
  10. Updated December 2017
  11. Update July 2017
  12. Updated May 2017
  13. Information updated 9 March 2017
  14. We are currently updating our information on driving licences in Portugal. Revised information will be available shortly.
  15. General information amended and property advice added
  16. Information added on changes to rules for EHIC and early retirees from July 1 2014.
  17. Instructions for signing life certificates for UK state pensions updated
  18. First published.