Entry requirements

The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK government’s understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport.

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.


You can stay in Portugal as a tourist for up to 3 months. If you intend to stay for longer, you must apply for a Registration Certificate from the local Camara Municipal (Town Hall).

Travelling with children

Portuguese Border Control (SEF) advise that a child under the age of 18 who is travelling to Portugal alone or without a parent or legal guardian should either:

  • be met at the airport or point of entry by their parent or guardian, or

  • carry a letter of authorisation to travel from their parent or guardian. The letter should name the adult in Portugal who will be responsible for them during their stay. There is no legal requirement for the letter to be notarised. However, the onus is on the parent or legal guardian to provide reasonable evidence, including contact details, to confirm that adequate care arrangements are in place.

Resident minors leaving Portugal

A child under the age of 18 who is resident in Portugal must carry a notarised letter of authority from their parent or guardian if they’re travelling out of the country alone or without a parent or legal guardian. The letter of authority can be issued by:

i)   one of the child’s parents (if the parents are married)
ii)  the parent the child lives with (if the parents are separated or divorced)
iii) one of the adoptive parents (if the child is adopted) or
iv) the child’s legal guardian.

A standard form of words (in Portuguese) may be downloaded from the Portuguese immigration service website. There are two options under “Saída de Menores de Território Nacional”. The first one is for use by Portuguese nationals; the second is for foreign nationals.

Detailed information in English on resident minors leaving Portugal is available on the Portuguese Immigration Service website.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK ETDs are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Portugal.