Foreign travel advice


Important COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. This advice is being kept under constant review.


Coronavirus (COVID-19): stay up to date

A state of emergency was declared on 18 March by the Portuguese government. On 30 April, the Portuguese government announced the transition to a state of public calamity and a three-stage de-escalation plan to gradually ease current confinement and mobility measures.

If you live in the UK and are currently travelling in Portugal you are advised to make travel plans to return to the UK as soon as possible. See Return to the UK

The UK has left the European Union. The rules on travel to EU countries will stay the same until 31 December 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. This page will be updated with country-specific information for travellers to Portugal as things change. Sign up for email alerts and view the latest updates for UK nationals travelling to and living in Europe.

Around 2.5 million British nationals visited Portugal in 2019. Most visits are trouble-free.

If you’re living in or moving to Portugal, read the Living in Portugal guide in addition to this travel advice.

Beware of street crime. Thieves tend to target money and passports so don’t keep them all in one place. See Crime

Walking the levadas (ancient irrigation channels) is a popular activity in Madeira, but the walks can be challenging if you are inexperienced.  See Madeira

Terrorist attacks in Portugal can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

There’s an increased risk of forest fires during summer months and when the weather is hot and dry. See Forest fires

You should take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. Consider carrying an Emergency ID Card to help the health services assist you in an emergency. For information on the European Health Insurance Card see Health.

You can contact the emergency services by calling 112.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.