Give up (renounce) British citizenship or nationality

Skip contents


You can apply to give up (renounce) your British citizenship or status. If accepted, you’ll get a ‘declaration of renunciation’ that you can use to show that you’re no longer British.

You might do this, for example, if you want to become a citizen of another country that does not allow dual citizenship.

You can renounce your:

You can give up more than one at a time.

Giving up your citizenship or status only affects you and not any other members of your family - although it could affect the status of any children you have in future.

Your right to live in the UK will be affected if you give up citizenship.

When you can give up your citizenship

You can only give up your British citizenship or status if either of the following apply:

  • you already have another citizenship or nationality
  • you’re going to get another citizenship or nationality after giving up your British citizenship or status

You must also be:

  • aged 18 or over (unless you’re under 18 and married)
  • of sound mind (unless it’s decided that it’s in your best interest)