Check if you can become a British citizen
There are different ways to apply for British citizenship, including ‘naturalisation’. Check your eligibility to apply.
Get a passport for your child
Get a passport for your child or baby - renewals and first child passports, application form, supporting paperwork, eligibility, costs
Apply to become a British citizen by naturalisation (form AN)
Apply for citizenship by naturalisation if you are living in the UK. You can now apply online.
Apply for citizenship if you have indefinite leave to remain
How to apply for British citizenship if you have indefinite leave to remain (ILR) - form AN, who's eligible, fees and where to send your application
Dual citizenship (also known as dual nationality) is allowed in the UK. Read the rules and how to apply.
Guidance and regulation
- Fees for citizenship applications
- Applying for a UK visa: approved English language tests
- Windrush scheme and information
- General information – all British nationals: nationality policy guidance
- Nationality checking service: Greater London
News and communications
Research and statistics
- Immigration statistics, year ending June 2018: data tables
- Immigration statistics, year ending June 2018
- Circumstances Surrounding an Application for Naturalisation
Policy papers and consultations
- Response to an inspection report on the review and removal of immigration, refugee and citizenship status
- Home Office response to the report 'A short inspection of the Home Office’s application of the good character requirement in the case of young persons who apply for registration as British citizens’
- Knowledge of language and life in the UK for settlement and naturalisation: statement of intent