Check if you can become a British citizen
There are different ways to apply for British citizenship, including ‘naturalisation’. Check your eligibility to apply.
Apply for citizenship if you have indefinite leave to remain or 'settled status'
Apply for British citizenship if you have indefinite leave to remain (ILR) - form AN, who's eligible, fees and how to apply.
Get a passport for your child
Get a passport for your child or baby - renewals and first child passports, application form, supporting paperwork, eligibility, costs
Prove your knowledge of English for citizenship and settling
How you can show you know English when you apply for citizenship and to settle in the UK, and when you do not have to
Apply for citizenship if your spouse is a British citizen
Apply for British citizenship if you're married to, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen - form AN, who's eligible, fees and how to apply.
Guidance and regulation
- Prove your English language abilities with a secure English language test (SELT)
- Fees for citizenship applications
- Form MN1: guidance
- Registration as a British citizen: children
- Good character: nationality policy guidance
News and communications
Research and statistics
- Immigration statistics data tables, year ending September 2020
- Immigration statistics, year ending September 2020
- Home Office – Statistics at Home Office
- Immigration statistics, year ending June 2020 second edition
- Immigration statistics data tables, year ending June 2020
Policy papers and consultations
- British Nationality Act 1981 (Remedial) Order 2019
- Response to an inspection report on the review and removal of immigration, refugee and citizenship status
- Home Office response to the report 'A short inspection of the Home Office’s application of the good character requirement in the case of young persons who apply for registration as British citizens’
- Knowledge of language and life in the UK for settlement and naturalisation: statement of intent
Transparency and freedom of information releases
- Applications for naturalisation received from 1 May 2014 to 30 June 2014
- British national (overseas) renunciations from 2009 to 2014
- British citizenship applications from Bulgarian nationals, 2011 to 2013
- British nationality status letters granted from 2010 to 2012