You can ask to cancel (withdraw) an application for a visa, visa extension or citizenship.
You’ll get a refund of the immigration health surcharge if you cancel before a decision has been made about your application.
You may get a refund of the application fee. This depends on what stage your application is at when you cancel.
When you will not get a refund
You will not get a refund of the application fee if:
- your visa application is unsuccessful
- you are granted leave, for example you get a visa or indefinite leave to remain
- you have a visa and do not use it to travel to the UK
- you leave the UK before your visa expires (you will also not get a refund of the immigration health surcharge)
Before you cancel
You may be able to ask for your passport and other documents to be returned, without withdrawing your application.
If you cancel your application:
- you cannot stop the cancellation once it’s been received by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)
- you may lose your permission to stay here if you’re in the UK
How to cancel your application
How you cancel and the deadline for getting a refund depends on how you were told to prove your identity when you started your online application.
You would have been told either to:
- attend an appointment to provide your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) and identity document in person
- use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ smartphone app to upload your photo and scan your identity document
Follow the process for appointments even if you were later told you did not need one. For example, because you had given your fingerprints before and were told you could send your photo electronically.
If you were told to attend an appointment
You can cancel your application online and your fee will be refunded if you have not yet given your fingerprints and photo.
If you applied within the UK, fill in the form to withdraw your application.
If you applied outside the UK and used AccessUK, sign in to your account using the link from your sign-up email. Go to ‘Section 6: further actions’ to cancel your application.
If you used the smartphone app
You can cancel your application online. Your fee will be refunded if you have not yet uploaded your documents.
To cancel, sign in to your account using the link from your sign-up email. Go to your dashboard and select ‘Withdraw this application’ for the application you want to cancel.
Cancel your application if you’ve given your fingerprints and photo
Contact UKVI to cancel your application. Your fee will not usually be refunded - there are some exceptions if you’re cancelling because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
If you’re cancelling because of coronavirus
Send an email to the coronavirus immigration help centre. They will let you know if your fee will be refunded or not.
Your email must be in English and include:
- your full name
- your nationality
- your date of birth
- any UKVI reference numbers you have been given
Use ‘POST BIOMETRIC REFUND REQUEST’ as the subject line.
The help centre will reply as soon as possible. Only contact them again if you need to tell them about a change of circumstances.