Give up (renounce) British citizenship or nationality

Resume your British nationality

In some cases it’s possible to resume your British nationality after renouncing it.

Read the RS1 guidance before you apply.

You can either:

You can get help completing the online form if you do not feel confident using a computer or do not have access to one.

You cannot get immigration advice through this service.

Help completing the online form
Text: ‘VISA’ to 07537 416 944
Telephone: 03333 445 675
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges


Pay the current fee for registration.

Your fee will not be refunded if your application is refused.

Supporting documents

You’ll need to provide:

  • your copy of your declaration of renunciation (either form RN1 or R6)
  • your passport, or certificate of naturalisation or registration for your current citizenship or nationality
  • an official letter or statement from the country you’re currently a citizen or national of saying that if you had not given up your British citizenship you’d have lost or failed to get your current citizenship or nationality

If you gave up United Kingdom and Colonies citizenship you’ll also need to provide:

  • the birth, naturalisation or registration certificate of the person you have the connection to the UK with, and evidence of your relationship to that person, for example a birth, marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • evidence that you gave up citizenship because you believed you’d be deprived of your citizenship of a Commonwealth country unless you did so - this should be a separate letter explaining this plus any supporting documents

You may have to provide different documents if you originally gave up citizenship for a reason other than you’d have lost or failed to get citizenship of another country - read the guidance for details.

Biometric information

You must also provide biometric information (fingerprints and a photo). This costs £19.20.

The Home Office will tell you when you need to provide your biometrics. Your biometric information is only held until you’ve attended a citizenship ceremony.