Living in Slovenia

Official information for UK nationals moving to or living in Slovenia, including guidance on Brexit, residency, healthcare and passports.

Brexit: what you should do

You should:

Stay up to date

Get ready for Brexit on 31 October 2019. This page tells you how to prepare and it will be updated if anything changes, including if a deal is agreed.

You should:

Attend a citizen outreach meeting

The British Embassy regularly holds events across Slovenia for UK nationals. Attend one of our citizen outreach meetings to keep up to date on working and living in Slovenia after Brexit.

You can also:

Visas and residency

Check the entry requirements for Slovenia.

If you plan to stay in Slovenia for more than 90 days you need to register as a resident at your local town hall (Upravna enota) (in Slovene).

You will need:

  • your UK passport
  • a passport photo
  • your EHIC card
  • your work contract
  • a bank statement
  • a pension statement, if you get a pension
  • proof of school enrolment, if you are a student

You must check with your town hall what further documentation you may need to apply for residency.

Once you’ve held temporary residency in Slovenia for 5 years, you can apply to your town hall for a permanent resident certificate (Potrdilo o Stalnem Bivanju). Read the Slovenian government’s guidance on entering Slovenia.

UK nationals registered as residents will be able to stay in Slovenia after Brexit. If there are changes to residency rules or registration processes after Brexit, we will update this guidance as soon as information is available.

Applying for Slovenian citizenship

Once you’ve been officially resident in Slovenia for 10 years (or 1 year if you are married to a Slovene national), you can apply for Slovenian citizenship.

You will need to apply for Slovenian citizenship at your local town hall. You will need to:

You may also need to obtain a birth, marriage or death certificate from the UK.

You may also be required to have all your UK documents officially translated and legalised (apostilled).


If you are resident in Slovenia, you must obtain basic state health insurance. You can also pay for supplementary health insurance.

Read the NHS guidance on healthcare in Slovenia and read Slovenia’s information on healthcare in Slovenia and health insurance in Slovenia.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

If you are resident in Slovenia, you must not use your EHIC from the UK for healthcare in Slovenia.

When you travel from Slovenia for a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you can use an EHIC to access state-provided healthcare in that country. During that short stay:

If you are a student, read the NHS guidance on healthcare and studying abroad.

You can find an English-speaking doctor in Slovenia.

You must also check your prescriptions are legal in Slovenia.

Healthcare after Brexit

You must secure basic healthcare coverage through the Slovenian National Health Insurance Agency before Brexit.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you must confirm your residency status and decide how you will ensure access to healthcare.

If you currently have your healthcare costs paid for by the UK government, we can help if you are asked to pay for treatment during the first 6 months after Brexit. To organise a payment, you must give your healthcare provider’s details to the NHS Business Services Authority’s Overseas Healthcare Services.

The UK government has offered to continue paying the country you live in for your healthcare if there’s no deal, as it does now. The government has proposed maintaining current healthcare cooperation with Slovenia for S1 form holders until the end of December 2020. If there’s no deal, and there is no arrangement with Slovenia to continue reciprocal healthcare, those receiving coverage through the S1 form will not be covered.

Your EHIC may not be valid if there’s no deal. The UK has offered to maintain the EHIC scheme if there’s no deal, however this is reliant on Slovenia continuing to accept UK EHICs.

If the UK leaves the EU with a deal and you are resident in Slovenia by the end of the implementation period, you will continue to be covered for healthcare as you are now.

You should read the NHS guidance on healthcare for UK nationals in Slovenia and how it may change after Brexit.

Passports and travel

You can apply for or renew your British passport from Slovenia.

Passports and travel after Brexit

After Brexit, the rules on travel will change. Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip. You’ll need to renew your passport before travelling if you do not have enough time left on your passport.

If there’s no deal, you must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

If there’s no deal, UK nationals will not need visas for short stays elsewhere in the EU. You will be able to stay up to 90 days in another EU, EEA or EFTA country, within a 180 day period. You must retain evidence of travel (such as train and plane tickets), in case these are requested by national authorities. If you hold a residence permit from an EU, EEA or EFTA country, you will be able to transit through other EU, EEA or EFTA countries to reach your country of residence.

If there is a deal, nothing will change until the end of 2020. During this time you can continue to travel freely in the Schengen area with your UK passport. What happens after 2020 will form the next part of negotiations.

Driving in Slovenia

If you are resident in Slovenia, you must exchange your UK licence for a Slovene driving licence before the UK leaves the EU. You can still use your Slovene licence in the UK for short visits or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test if you return to live in the UK.

For information on driving in Slovenia, read guidance on:

Some applicants have been asked to prove residency in the UK at the time their UK licence was issued. The British Embassy has produced a letter which clarifies that UK driving licences are only issued to UK residents. Contact us if you require a copy.

Bringing a UK-registered vehicle to Slovenia

Read our guidance on taking a vehicle out of the UK.

Read the European Union’s guidance on car registration and taxes in Slovenia. You may be exempt from some of these taxes. If so, you will need certificates of exemption.

Driving after Brexit

If there’s no deal and you are unable to exchange your UK driving licence for a local one before the UK leaves the EU, you must do so within 12 months of that date.

Read guidance on driving in the EU after a no-deal Brexit.

If there is a deal, driving licence rules will stay the same during the implementation period.

Working in Slovenia

Read our guidance on working in another EU country.

You may need to apply for a UK police certificate.

Working in Slovenia after Brexit

If you’re planning to start a business, provide a service, or do a job in a regulated profession after Brexit read the guidance on providing services after Brexit.

If there is a deal, your right to work will stay the same until the end of the implementation period.

Money and tax

The UK has a double-taxation agreement with Slovenia to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries.

Read guidance on:

You will need to get a tax number from your local tax office before you can open a bank account.

Money and tax after Brexit

Brexit will not change existing double taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Slovenia. Send your questions about double taxation to the relevant tax authority.

If there’s no deal, it may become more expensive to use your UK bank card in the EU. Read more about using a bank card, insurance or other financial service in the EU.

National Insurance

Find out if you can pay National Insurance while abroad in order to protect your State Pension and entitlement to other benefits and allowances.

If you are employed or self-employed in the EU and you have a UK-issued A1/E101 form, you will remain subject to UK legislation until the end date on the form.

If the end date on your form is after 31 October 2019, you should contact the relevant EU, EEA or Swiss authority to confirm whether you need to start paying social security contributions in that country after 31 October, as well as UK National Insurance contributions.

Find out more about social security contributions after a no-deal Brexit.


You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

If you retire in Slovenia, you can claim:

Life certificates for UK State Pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to respond as soon as possible. Your payments may be suspended if you don’t.

Pensions after Brexit

The UK government will continue to pay a State Pension to those eligible in the EU after Brexit. Your UK State Pension will be uprated in April 2020, 2021 and 2022 if you live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

Read our guidance on pensions if there’s no deal.

If there is a deal and you work and pay social security contributions in Slovenia, you will still be able to add your UK social security contributions towards your Slovene pension. This will happen even if you claim your pension after the end of the implementation period.


You may still be able to claim some UK benefits like child and disability benefits if you live in Slovenia.

Many income-related benefits such as pension credit and housing benefit cannot be paid to you if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

You may be eligible to claim some Slovenian social security benefits – read guidance on social security benefits – Slovenia and Slovenian social security.

You can request proof of the time you’ve worked in the UK from HMRC if you are asked for this.

Benefits after Brexit

The UK government will continue to pay child benefits and disability benefits to those eligible living in Slovenia after Brexit.

Read the guidance on benefits and pensions if there’s no deall.

If there is a deal and you work and pay social security contributions in Slovenia, your UK social security contributions will be taken into account when applying for Slovenian contributions-based benefits. This will happen even if you claim contributions-based benefits after the end of the implementation period.


You may be able to vote in some UK elections.

Until the UK leaves the EU, if you are resident in Slovenia, you can vote in local municipal and European parliamentary elections. For more information, read the European Union’s guidance on elections abroad.

Voting after Brexit

UK nationals in Slovenia will no longer be eligible to vote in European Parliament elections and stand in local elections after Brexit. UK nationals resident in Slovenia will still be able to vote in local elections.

Births, deaths and getting married

If your child is born in Slovenia, you will need to register the birth abroad.

If someone dies in Slovenia you can:

Find out how you can get married abroad.

You may also need:


Travelling with your pet between the EU and the UK will change after Brexit. If you’re living in the EU, contact your vet before travelling to check requirements. Also read the guidance for UK nationals living in the EU on the Pet travel to Europe after Brexit page.

Whilst the UK is still in the EU, you can take your pet between the UK and the EU under the current pet travel rules using your current EU pet passport.

If you’re travelling with your pet for the first time, you must visit your vet to obtain a pet passport.

Read guidance on returning your cat, dog or ferret to the UK.

For moving pet horses and other equines read guidance on export horses and ponies: special rules.


You can dial the European emergency number 112 or dial 113 for the police in Slovenia.

If you are the victim of crime, have been arrested, or are affected by a crisis abroad, contact the British Embassy Ljubljana.

Accommodation and buying property

Read our guidance for buying a property abroad.

Returning to the UK

You must tell the UK and Slovene authorities if you are returning to the UK permanently.

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

If you get healthcare in Slovenia through the S1 form, you must contact the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 (0)191 218 1999 to make sure your S1 is cancelled at the right time.


Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Slovenian authorities. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

Published 4 November 2013
Last updated 23 September 2019 + show all updates
  1. Brexit update: healthcare section updated to reflect transitional arrangements announcement
  2. Brexit update: change in the section "Healthcare after Brexit". Please note that UK nationals will not be able to return to UK for treatment.
  3. Brexit update: Pensions section updated to include further details on State Pension uprating.
  4. EU Exit update: new information about returning to live in the UK and passports and travel after EU Exit
  5. Updates to formatting
  6. Updated information about exchanging driving licences (for UK nationals resident in Slovenia).
  7. We have updated the contact details you need to apply for an S1 form.
  8. EU Exit update: Updated information on passports. You must use the checker tool to see if your passport is still valid for your trip.
  9. EU Exit update: Updated information on the UK double-taxation agreement with Slovenia in the Money and tax section. Link to citizens outreach meetings added to EU Exit section
  10. EU Exit update: detailed information about applying for Slovenian citizenship added to the visas and residency section.
  11. EU Exit update - Updated information on access to healthcare.
  12. EU exit update - updated information on pensions and driving
  13. Updated guidance on on driving.
  14. EU Exit update: New information in residency and visa section on draft withdrawal agreement in principle between the UK and EU. Plus information on travelling with pets in Europe in Pets section.
  15. Clarification about how to get a tax code and how to claim your Slovenian pension.
  16. Complete revision of guidance to ensure it's up to date and accurate.
  17. First published.