Before you travel, check the ‘Entry requirements’ section for Slovenia’s current entry restrictions and requirements. These may change with little warning. Monitor this advice for the latest updates and stay in contact with your travel provider.

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting.

It is very important to get travel insurance and check it provides sufficient cover. See the FCDO’s guidance on foreign travel insurance.

There continues to be a risk of forest fires in Slovenia. You should follow the instructions of the local authorities and keep roads clear for the emergency services.

There are rules about taking food and drink into the EU. See Taking food and drink into the EU for further information.

Around 160,000 British nationals visit Slovenia every year. Most visits are trouble free.

If you’re living in or moving to Slovenia, read the Living in Slovenia guide in addition to this travel advice.

Immigration controls may temporarily be in place at some road and rail border crossing points. Full immigration controls are in place at Slovenia’s border with Croatia. You must carry your passport with you at all times. You should monitor local media and check with your transport provider, the Slovenian Automobile Association (AMZS) or Slovenian Railways websites for updates.

All foreign nationals visiting Slovenia must register with the police within 3 days of arrival or risk paying a fine. Hotels and accommodation providers will usually do this as part of the check in procedures. See Local laws and customs

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Slovenia, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

To drive on Slovenian motorways, you must buy and display a ‘vignette’. From February 2022, Slovenia moved to an e-vignette system, replacing the previous ‘sticker’ vignette. The e-vignette is linked to the vehicle registration number plate and enforced via automatic number plate recognition cameras. Weekly, monthly and annual e-vignettes can be purchased online on the DARs website or at DARs points of sale, including petrol stations and post offices. If you are buying an e-vignette online you should only do so via the DARs website. You will be asked to provide your vehicle registration and you will be given proof of purchase which you should retain for future reference. Annual e-vignettes are valid for 365 days from the designated start date. Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes must register for an electronic tolling system. Vehicles must be fitted with winter equipment from 15 November to 15 March. See Road travel

Seek advice on weather and safety conditions before travelling into the mountains. Off-piste skiing is highly dangerous due to the risk of avalanches. See Skiing/mountaineering

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.